The following information applies to the calls for SAQA's Virtual Gallery program. Note that these calls are for an ONLINE GALLERY only. Artwork will not travel and there is no fee to enter. If you have any questions or need further clarification, please email email@example.com.
Don't miss this! We have prepared a handy resource of Tips for Successful Art Quilt Photography.
- Artwork, or components within, must fit the SAQA definition of an art quilt: “...a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure.”
Work must be original and of the artist's own design.
- Artists may enter up to three artworks.
- Only current SAQA members may enter.
- There is no entry fee to participate.
- If the artwork is a collaboration, all collaborating artists must be SAQA members.
Artwork may have been published previously, but it may not have been accepted into a previous SAQA Global Exhibition or a SAQA Virtual Gallery.
- Artwork cannot be considered for a both Virtual Gallery AND a Global exhibition at the same time. You will need to wait until the official notification email to ensure that your piece isn't accepted into two SAQA exhibitions.
- Artwork does not need to be offered for sale or in your possession.
- There is no date by which the artwork must have been made.
- Not all entries will be accepted. Curators may only select up to one artwork per artist.
To participate in a Virtual Gallery call, you will need to submit two photographs. Because this is a virtual exhibition, it is critical that submitted images be of the best possible quality: in focus, with clear details, and following SAQA's digital image guidelines.
- One full-view image is required along with a detail image.
- Digital images must be saved as a high-quality JPEG or JPG file (No TIFF files). Do not include your name or initials in the filename.
- Finished images should be at least 2100 pixels on the longest side and not more than 4200 pixels.
- Files should NOT exceed more than 12 MB per file (form max per submission is 25 MB)
The Volunteer Curator will jury the submissions based on quality of submitted image and illustration of the exhibition theme. Images that do not meet SAQA’s digital image guidelines will not be forwarded to the Volunteer Curator for possible selection.
Common errors include:
- Images that are out of focus or too small
- Cropping images too closely on the full-view image. All edges of the artwork must be visible along with a small amount of contrasting, neutral background
- Do keep distracting elements to a minimum, such as hands, pets, pins, etc.
Not sure what we mean? Please take a look at this primer for tips on successful art quilt photography.
Note: Artists are no longer asked to blur signatures, initials, or other identifying marks on their submissions to Virtual Gallery calls for entry. Any blurring will be done by SAQA staff prior to the jurying process.
Terms and Conditions:
You will be asked to agree with these terms and conditions. "I agree to loan images of my artwork to Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc. I further agree to permit images of my artwork to be used in articles, ads, promotions, blogs, websites, and/or social media for and about the virtual gallery and/or promotion of SAQA, Inc." "I confirm, to the best of my knowledge, the artwork entered is original and does not violate any copyright or trademark laws.