A Juried Artist Member (JAM) of SAQA is an artist who has demonstrated a readiness to enter the art world. The Juried Artist application process is designed to determine whether an artist can make a successful application to a gallery or museum for a solo show. If you have:
- a consistent body of work;
- with professional quality photographs;
- an artist’s statement that connects the viewer to your work;
- a successful art quilt or fine art exhibition record;
- a resume or CV of you as an artist;
- and a web presence beyond Facebook.
Applications are made on-line and reviewed by a select panel of current Juried Artist Members. The Review Panel members use a checklist to evaluate each application against the criteria explained in the Juried Artist Guidelines to gauge whether the portfolio would present a credible proposal to an art gallery or museum. This is not a judgement of whether the Review Panel likes or dislikes your body of work, but rather whether you are ready to present yourself as a professional to galleries or museums.
When you have completed the application process, you will have the materials you need to approach galleries or museums.
Besides meeting a personal goal of accomplishment, a major benefit for Juried Artist members is the opportunity for exposure: in SAQA publications, on the website, as well as participation in SAQA special events.
- An artist profile page on the SAQA website with up to 5 images, artist statement, and links to website/social media.
- Artwork eligible for inclusion in the Juried Artist Showcase galleries.
- Listing in the Juried Artist Directory.
- Artwork eligible for inclusion in weekly SAQA emails. SAQA Journal, and on banners throughout the SAQA website
The other major benefit is the ability to network with other Juried Artists from around the world.
- Online open discussions on the topic de jour.
- Substantive presentations with content geared toward Juried Artists.
- Facebook group just for Juried Artists.
- Bi-monthly newsletter.
- Conference get-togethers.
** As of May 2023, there is no longer a $65 upcharge for Juried Artist Members. More Details