** Deadline extended to October 31st - we need more pieces!!!
SAQA’s traveling trunk shows are designed to showcase SAQA’s diversity of talent and support our mission to “promote the art quilt.” Audiences at locations around the world are able to engage with the art quilts in an up-close and personal way. In addition to delighting viewers with the variety of techniques and breadth of creativity, trunks are also used for educational purposes and outreach.
This is a great opportunity to share your artwork!
All SAQA members are invited to showcase their artistic expression by creating a small art quilt (see requirements below). These pieces will be mounted on a black 12" x 9" backing board, and sealed inside a clear envelope. The artist's location, artwork title, statement and information about techniques and materials are on the back.
The submissions are divided into “trunks,” and these collections travel all over the world to various groups. The trunks are shared, used, displayed, and explored in many different ways. After three years of traveling, the pieces are then returned to the artist OR they can be sold in the SAQA online store with proceeds shared between SAQA and the artist.
In addition to traveling around the "physical" world, Trunk Show artwork will also be displayed in a searchable online collection. This will allow anyone to explore and engage with these pieces virtually! Curated galleries based upon genre, topic, or techniques will also be available.
We welcome all entries whether you’re an award-winning, longtime artist or a new member just beginning to explore art quilts. Have fun trying a new subject, developing a technique, or working with an idea or concept with which you are already familiar. Whatever you decide, enjoy yourself!
- Artwork must measure 10" high x 7" wide (25.4cm x 17.8cm) in a vertical orientation -OR- 7" high x 10" wide (17.8cm x 25.4cm) in a horizontal orientation.
- 2D pieces with 3D elements are acceptable as long as the depth does NOT exceed 3" inches. We are also accepting a limited number of 3D free-standing pieces (see note below).
- Artwork must meet the SAQA definition of an art quilt: “The art quilt is a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure.”
- Quilt edges must be finished. The method used is at the artist's discretion (e.g. bound, stitched, or faced). Since these pieces will be mounted on a back board, it is not necessary to include a sleeve or other hanging method.
- Artwork can be available for sale - SAQA will retain 25% of sales price as commission. Pieces will be listed for sale online in February 2025 once the trunk show has completed traveling.
- Only ONE entry per artist will be permitted. All pieces are accepted (there is no jurying process)
Note about 3D artwork:
- Freestanding / sculptural 3D pieces are also allowed for the Trunk Show, but on a limited basis. The first ten entrants to complete a submission form for 3D artwork will be accepted.
- 3D artwork must fit within a clear acrylic display case with the maximum outside dimensions of 10" high x 9" wide x 12" deep (25.5cm x 23cm x 30.5cm). SAQA will provide the display case.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Entry Opens: July 1, 2021
Online Entry Closes: October 31, 2021
Artwork to be received in Ohio: November 15, 2021
Trunk Show touring schedule: February 2022 - December 2024
Artwork sold in SAQA Store: February 2025
Artwork returned to artists: February - March 2025
** the schedule has been adjusted to reflect a later submission deadline (original deadline was September 30).
You will be required to submit a digital image with your submission. Since artwork is added to the website for exhibition and sale purposes, the quality of your image is very important!
- Digital image must be saved as a high quality JPEG file and be less than 10 MB in size
- Finished images should be at least 1800 pixels on the longest side and not more than 4200 pixels.
- All edges of the quilt must be visible. Do not crop into the borders or binding.
- Artwork must be shot on a contrasting solid background.
- Only one full image of the piece is required. An additional detail image is optional.
Check out our Digital Image Submission Guidelines for additional photo taking tips. Note that all pieces will be accepted regardless of photo quality.
Once you complete the online submission form, you will receive a confirmation email which will include the shipping details. If you didn't receive an email (check your Spam folders), contact email@example.com to ensure that your form went through.
Print the PDF attached to your confirmation email and include with your shipment to the address below. If you cannot print this out, just include a note with your contact information. You should also include your name on the back of the piece as well.
Mail your artwork along with a copy of the attached PDF to the address below to arrive by October 15th at the latest.
SAQA TRUNK SHOW
3880 INDIAN RIPPLE RD
Please do NOT fold your piece to fit the package! Mail your donation with a tracking number whenever possible. If needed, the SAQA phone number is 860-530-1551.
If you live outside of the US, send your piece early enough to arrive by the deadline, including time to clear Customs.