The San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles offers an exciting Artist in Residence program for artists who show a strong emphasis in textiles. Artists will have the opportunity to engage with museum visitors while gaining exposure to new audiences. The Maker Space Studio is a semi-private artist in residence workspace and incubator for creativity and dialogue between the artist(s) and the community.
Duration of Residency: 3 months
Application deadline: Ongoing
Available spots: 4 per year
Who may apply:
- Emerging and established artists that incorporate fiber/textiles in their current work
- Artists with a BFA, MFA or who show extensive experience in their field of expertise
- Artists who are comfortable engaging and working with the public
- Artists who are self-guided
- Artists who incorporate performance, community engagement or social practice are encouraged to apply.
Objective: The artist in residence will lead a series of activities that will be open to the community and museum visitors. The majority of the activities will be facilitated by the AIR(s) in the Maker Space, located behind the main galleries. The activities may include scheduled demonstrations of a set skill, lectures or hands-on/participatory activity for visitors during the SOFA artwalks, community days and special events.
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
520 S. First St.
San Jose, CA 95113