The Special Events Committee (SEC) of Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc. (SAQA) is seeking presentation proposals for its virtual conference to be held April 12 – 20, 2024.The theme of the conference is Plurality & Heritage and will showcase the Europe and Middle East Region. More Details
We would like conference attendees from other parts of the world to have the unique opportunity to virtually visit Europe and the Middle East. We would love to have an abundance of proposals from that region, but will absolutely consider proposals from everywhere else in the world!
The deadline to apply is September 30. Applicants will be notified in November. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for compelling proposals on topics of interest to our membership, including but not limited to topics on professional, creative, and personal development as an artist.
- Presentations may take the form of lectures with visuals (60 minutes, including a Q&A session of approximately 15 minutes) or panel discussions with a moderator (60 – 90 minutes, including a Q&A session).
- If you are not comfortable giving your lecture in English, please specify the language you prefer, and we can arrange translation.
- We provide an honorarium for lectures. Please let us know what is expected and, if selected, we will try to work it into our budget.
Please remember that the brief description of your presentation will be used to promote your lecture, so make it as interesting as possible to attract attendees. Your description will also be used by the Special Events Committee to select the program lineup. Use third person and present tense.
We think our membership would love learning more about you and your art work, your inspiration, your process or anything else you would like to present that connects with our conference theme Plurality & Heritage.
Finally, keep in mind that the SEC will choose the program with the entire conference in mind. The Committee may love your proposal, but may feel it would work better in the conference by moving it into a different category. If you are contacted about such a possibility, we hope you will remember that it is not a reflection on the quality of your proposal or your presentation, but rather where it fits into the overall plan.
If you aren't interested in presenting but know someone who might be a great fit, please let us know by nominating them for consideration using the form below.
Applicants must be comfortable and proficient with giving virtual presentations and must have reliable internet access that can support video streaming. All presentations will be prerecorded.
SAQA is dedicated to making the virtual presentations of the speakers selected a success. In order to ensure this success:
- A brief technical rehearsal will be required of all speakers selected.
- Slide presentations should be made available to SAQA staff as backup in case of technical issues.
- The presentations will be prerecorded and if possible with the speaker being available live for Q&A after the airing of the presentation.
- The live virtual conference will be recorded and available for viewing to paid conference attendees for a limited period of time after the conference.
If you don’t feel comfortable giving an hour lecture, you might consider applying to present a Lightning Talk. This is a fast–paced (6 min. and 40 sec.) presentation format. Each speaker creates a presentation of 20 slides and speaks about each slide for about 20 sec. Most of our previous Lightning Talks can be viewed here.
Another possibility is to provide a recorded Studio Tour (5-10 minute video). You will need to have the ability to record this on your own but we will provide general guidance and editing. It's a great way to showcase your creative process and studio environment.
While we don't offer payment for Lightning Talks and Studio Tours, selected artists will receive 50% off conference registration ($100 USD value).