Reimagine a world through an alternate, extraordinary timeline. Imagine our bodies merged with our devices or a world shared with sentient robots or other life forms.
- What would a refrigerator, a clock, or even a lawn mower look like if it ran on steam power?
- What sort of people would live on the streets of a decaying metropolis, starkly divided between haves and have-nots, with police drones patrolling above and neon lights cutting through the thick, dirty air?
- Will science and technology free us from mundane daily chores, or enslave us to a global corporate master?
The opportunities are endless. Artists are invited to explore the science fiction worlds of cyberpunk, steampunk, dieselpunk, biopunk, atompunk, clockpunk, nanopunk, and more!
International Quilt Festival, Houston Texas October 2023 (Exact Dates TBD)
Wall-hung (2D and 3D), freestanding, and ceiling suspended artwork are eligible.
- Pieces may not exceed 96” (8 ft) in height, width, or depth. There is NO minimum size.
- All artwork must fit through a standard 34” doorway. Ceiling suspended pieces cannot exceed 20 lbs.
- Wall-hung pieces (2D and 3D) must hang without distortion. Traditional quilt sleeves, stretcher bars, framed or mounted work, and other hanging mechanisms are acceptable.
- Artwork must SAQA’s definition of an art quilt: "a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure."
ELIGIBILITY / FEE
Artists must be a current SAQA member to enter this call. $50 USD for up to 3 entries. $40 ($10 Early Bird Discount) if all entries submitted by January 15, 2023. Entry fee must be paid online before the entry deadline via a credit card or PayPal at www.saqa.com/fees.
If you have questions about this exhibition, please refer to SAQA’s Exhibition Guidelines and FAQs where many exhibition related questions are answered. If you have any further questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Kellan Jett is an illustrator and concept artist who has worked in Animation, Film, VR, Games, and Editorial and Publishing. Currently he lives in Los Angeles and works at Nickelodeon as a Visual Development Artist.
Jett grew up in Texas surrounded by quilts and textile art created by his mother. From an early age he developed a deep love and appreciation for the art form of art quilts, textiles, and multimedia. Jett studied illustration at the Rhode Island School of Design and spends any free time traveling and painting landscapes.
- January 1, 2023 - Online Entry Opens
- January 31, 2023 - Online Entry Deadline at 7pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT/UTC-5)
- March 31, 2023 - Notification of Acceptance via email
- May 31, 2023 - Artwork to be RECEIVED by SAQA (details provided upon acceptance)
- October 2023 - Exhibition Opens at International Quilt Festival Houston
- December 31, 2026 - End of Exhibition (work will be returned by February 28, 2027)
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY AND GUIDELINES
For information on eligibility and policies, please refer to SAQA's Exhibition Guidelines and FAQs.
Jurying of the exhibition is by digital image. Information and resources for submitting digital images can be found on SAQA’s website, Digital Image Submission Guidelines.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
You will be asked to agree with these terms and conditions. “I agree to loan my artwork to Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc. I understand the costs of insuring and shipping my artwork to the shipping center in Ohio are my responsibility. I further agree to permit the images or detail images and/or all or part of my artist statement to be used in the exhibition catalog, articles, ads, promotions, books, websites, blogs, CDs, current event news coverage, television productions, and/or multi-media productions for and about the exhibition or for and about the shows at which the exhibition may be seen. I confirm, to the best of my knowledge, the artwork entered is original and does not violate any copyright or trademark laws."