2012 Benefit Auction Guidelines
SAQA's Benefit Auction is our largest fundraiser and SAQA's biggest income source after membership dues. For the 2011 auction, 309 artworks were donated and we raised $52,925. In 2012, we will select a special group that will be sold in the SAQA booth at IQF Houston instead of in the online auction. Warren and Nancy Brakensiek will select the works for the SAQA Houston Auction Exhibition.
With your help, we're hoping to do even better in 2012. We hope that each of you will create and donate a wonderful piece of art for the 2012 Benefit Auction, but in order to make the process go as smoothly as possible, we need to ask you to follow the guidelines below.
To facilitate the entry of your information, please use the online submission form. DEADLINE WAS JUNE 1.
- Donations MUST be 12 x 12 inches so that we can use standard Priority shipping boxes to save time and money. Major collectors have advised us that they prefer buying works that are actually 12 inches square to show a cohesive collection and to make traveling their collection much easier.
- Only ONE work per artist will be accepted.
- Works on stretchers will be accepted but they may not be any larger than 12 inches and should be no deeper than 1 inch (2.5 cm).
- ALL artwork donated must be ready to hang. Artwork on stretchers should have hooks and wire attached. For quilts, a sleeve (at least 2 inches) or other method of hanging must be attached. Only quilts with this sleeve will be considered for display at the International Quilt Festival(s).
- All donations must have label with title (or "untitled") and artist's name clearly written.
- There will be a space in the online submission form to put a 25 word description of your work that should include materials/techniques to help bidders understand what the image on the website represents. This is NOT to be an artist's statement. You can put an artist’s statement on your label if you choose.
- Please be sure that you put your website or blog (just one) in the submission form so we can put a link to it.
- Donated quilts will be separated into two sets - for the online auction and for the Houston auction - after the June 1 deadline. Quilts shown on the website before June 1 will not necessarily be auctioned online.
- Please do not use peanuts, confetti, shredded paper, or padded envelopes filled with linty fuzz - all these things make a mess when opening the package and the confetti and fuzzy stuff sticks to the quilts. Tissue paper and bubble wrap work very well.
- Please mail your donation with a tracking number or pre-stamped/addressed postcard to let you know it arrived. Auction coordinator will NOT email donors when work arrives (except for international donations).
- International donations should be sent early enough to arrive by the deadline after clearing Customs. Be advised that it can take up to 3 weeks for boxes to clear customs.
PLEASE Ship to:
12 Conchas Loop
Santa Fe, NM 87508
For questions about the auction and the procedures: email Gale Oppenheim-Pietrzak: firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Bird Deadline: March 16, 2012 - This is a receive-by date.
This will make your piece eligible for inclusion in Auction advertising, Auction postcards, and display at IQF-Cincinnati, April 12 - 15, 2012.
Final Deadline: June 1, 2012 - This is a receive-by date.