Trunk Show Resources
There is no single way to use the trunk show – it is such a versatile exhibition. This is one of the rare times that people have the opportunity to engage closely with a work of art. People really like to hold the pieces and because they are encased in the clear bags, they can!
You can spread the pieces out on tables and allow people to view them that way. Or, you can distribute the artwork to groups and let them hold the pieces for a closer look at the materials and techniques used.
In some cases, you may want to hang the pieces for display. We recommend using 3M Command POSTER strips for this purpose – they are easily removable from both the wall AND the mat board. You can find this product in most larger chain stores. Need wall labels? Check our additional resources below.
- Members get to know each other’s work
- Show the diversity of styles, materials and techniques
- Use as an educational tool for critiquing and viewing art
- Use as a Jurying exercise - how to develop an exhibition when only a limited number of pieces can be included. What artwork would you select and why?
Galleries and Museums
- Introduce the art world to the art quilt as a fine art medium
- Increase SAQA visibility
- Engage visitors of all ages
- Recruiting new members
- Giving closet art quilters a sense of belonging
- Show the diversity of styles in the art quilt community
Trunk Show Resources
Trunk Show Poster
Available in regular letter size (8.5"x11") in both PDF and Word formats, this poster can be used to promote the trunk show. Includes space to add your own text (venue details, regional information, etc.).
Or, download the graphic below to use in your own publication.
Trunk Show Instructions
Includes information about unpacking / storing and displaying the trunk show
Each venue is required to inventory the trunk show pieces when received and before it is shipped back.
Wall Labels - includes statement
Print onto cardstock - includes artist, title, and statement
Wall Labels - small version
Print onto cardstock - includes artist and title
Includes Inventory Lists and Wall Labels (both versions) for all Trunks. Download and unzip to access files.
Excel Merge File
Excel spreadsheet with artist and artwork information. Can be used to create venue specific labels / signage
Article from Winter 2010 Journal
Written for a previous trunk show, this helpful article includes information how to use the trunk show as a teaching tool.