Call for Entry Details
OPEN TO SAQA MEMBERS ONLY
• Miami, Florida
Deadline: February 29, 2020
SAQA is applying for gallery space in December 2020 at the Art Miami/Aqua venue that is held annually concurrently with Art Basel Miami. This event draws 80,000 buyers, museum curators, and prominent leaders in the arts from all over the world to see and buy the latest trends in fine art. For the past 15 years, the classic South Beach Aqua Hotel has been transformed into a collection of 52 galleries, and is one of three Art Miami venues.
The major benefit of SAQA’s gallery to artists is an opportunity for sales and exposure to some of the most influential people in the art market. SAQA’s gallery is a pilot project and will be entirely artist-funded. However, no commission will be taken on any sales made at the event or as a result of the event. Space is limited and artwork will be curated by the Gallerist for inclusion in SAQA’s gallery.
Gallery Inclusion Requirements
- Only SAQA members may be considered for inclusion
- Artwork must meet SAQA’s definition of an art quilt
- Artists may submit up to three works for consideration, and up to three works per artist may be selected for inclusion in the gallery, but this does not guarantee that each accepted artist will have three works selected.
- Artists must submit a brief bio with exhibition and other professional experience
- Artwork must be original and of the artist’s own design
- Application entry fee will be $20, payable at www.saqa.com/fees
Wall hung art – minimum 14” in any direction (including frame or mounting board if used), maximum width 32”, maximum height 36” and maximum depth from wall 3”.
3D artwork will be shown on a pedestal, there will be no ceiling hung, installation, or floor work. 3D work must not exceed 14” in any direction and must not exceed 20 lbs in weight.
- The exact artwork submitted must be available for sale during the event
- Selected artists will be required to pay $700, which is an equal share of expenses, for inclusion in the gallery within 30 days of SAQA’s selection as a participating gallery by Art Miami.
- Artists will be responsible for shipping to and return from (including insurance during shipping) the venue of their artwork. SAQA will insure artwork during the event. Buyers will pay shipping for purchased artwork.
- There is no date after which the artwork must have been completed
- Artwork may have been exhibited or published previously
- No statement will be submitted, only materials and techniques
- Selection will be made from submitted images: one overall for wall hung and two overall for 3D
- Each artist will have only one work on display at a time and, when it sells, it will be replaced by another by the same artist. We therefore encourage artists to submit works of similar size to provide ease of hanging and a consistently professional appearance in the gallery.
- Selected artists will be encouraged to provide business cards and/or postcards for future contact purposes
SAQA Gallery Process
Like all other galleries at Art Miami, SAQA must submit an application that includes images of all art to be shown for final acceptance by the venue. With a limited amount of available space in an assigned gallery, the gallerist will select 28 - 30 artists for inclusion. In the most unlikely event that SAQA’s Gallery is not accepted by Art Miami, the $20 entry fee will be refunded to the artists.
Gallerist: Sandra Sider
Sandra Sider, a studio quilt artist since the 1980s, has led critique workshops for Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) since 2005. She holds an M.A. in art history from the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University. Between 2010 and 2013, Sider served as president of SAQA, and today she is Editor of SAQA's Art Quilt Quarterly as well as Curator of the Texas Quilt Museum. She has written or edited more than a dozen books concerning contemporary quilt art, and has juried or co-juried more than two dozen exhibitions, including fiber art in general along with art quilts. As of 2019, she teaches the History of Textiles course for the MFA Textiles program at Parsons School of Design.
Why would an artist be interested in this opportunity?
The major benefit to artists is sales with no commission and exposure to influential people in the art market, including corporate art buyers and personal art consultants. This would mark the first time SAQA has shown art quilts, available for purchase, as a stand-alone art form in a multi-media venue of this stature, thus making great strides towards SAQA’s vision of furthering the art quilt as fine art.
February 1, 2020 Online Entry Opens
February 29, 2020 Online Entry Deadline
If you have additional questions, please contact Jayne Gaskins (email@example.com)
Art Miami/Aqua Venue
Aqua is one of three Art Miami venues. It is located a short walk from the Miami Beach Convention Center which hosts Art Basel where leading international galleries show significant works from masters of modern and contemporary art. Design Miami, an interior design show, located across the street from Art Basel, is also within walking distance of Art Aqua. Many Art Basel/Design Miami visitors are drawn to the Aqua venue to see additional artwork. In 2019, over 1,800 art enthusiasts lined up for the Aqua VIP Preview, and the venue hosted an estimated 20,000 during the entire event. Average sales were between $2,000 and $10,000 with the largest being a sculpture that sold for $35,000.
Many sales occur after the event, so artists are encouraged to include business and/or postcards for future contact. In addition, Aqua posts all art on the Artsy website permanently, enabling buyers to easily locate artists. Please visit www.artsy.net/aqua-art-miami to see examples of art from past years.
Aqua provides extensive PR, as well as producing a high-quality catalog with one image from each gallery.